I don’t know about you, but when the temperatures start climbing into the high 90’s your first thought is not “let’s crank up the oven!” No, it’s really the last thought, right? But, if you’re craving something a little sweet yet refreshing, and don’t want to turn on that oven, here is one of our ALL time favorite, and most requested at family gatherings, dessert recipe: Easy No Bake Key Lime Pie!!!
When my husband and I made our very first trip to Florida in 1982, we were introduced to Key Lime Pie. Say what now? We had never heard of it and had never tasted anything like this lusciousness before. We made it a point to try just about every key lime pie/cake/cheesecake on our trip. Alas, when asked how to make it, most, if not all, had lots of eggs. Lots and lots of eggs; some with as many as eight eggs!! Yikes! Now don’t get me wrong. I love eggs. I do. But my hubby has a little high cholesterol, so I was on the hunt for something easy and with little to no eggs. My hunt ended abruptly once I returned up north, since we do not have key limes up here and this was at a time when no one had even heard of Google. Gasp!
The next year when we returned to Florida (which we have done now for the last 25 years), I was on a mission to find a no-egg key lime pie recipe. In a little, tiny bookstore, I found a little local cookbook, and lo and behold a no-egg, no-bake, key lime pie recipe. Sold! I couldn’t WAIT to try this! Like right there and then! We stopped at the local island grocery store and when I got back to our condo I promptly made this pie. It takes less than 10 minutes to make it, but it must be refrigerated for at least 3-4 hours. The suspense was killing us! So we went to the beach 🙂
After returning from the beach and waiting the appropriate time, we sliced into this delectable key lime pie. It was unanimous. Best. Pie. Ever. It’s even been called “heaven on a plate” by raving fans. Yes, it’s that good, that simple. Did I say it was good? It’s cool, refreshing, simple, easy, delicious, stupendous, yummy, note-worthy, Sunday meet-the-parents, bring-home-the-boss dessert.
Go on. You know you want to try it. This pie will easily become your go-to, most requested, summertime favorite. I promise.
You can come back and thank me later. 🙂
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk - regular, 1% or fat-free
- 1 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened - regular or low fat
- 4 oz of key lime juice or regular lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 package pre-made graham cracker crust pie shell (I used Keebler) regular or low fat
- Optional: Lime zest and whipped cream
- Place softened cream cheese (microwave in a microwave-safe bowl for 15 seconds if you are crunched for time) and sweetened condensed milk in a mixing bowl.
- Using an electric hand mixer, starting on low, begin mixing the cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk.
- Continue to increase speed of mixer until cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk is smooth and creamy.
- Add the vanilla and whip together.
- Lastly, add the key lime juice. Start using the lowest setting as it will splash a little to start. Steadily increase speed until everything is thoroughly mixed and it looks all creamy and luscious. You absolutely do not want clumps at this stage.
- Pour the key lime pie mixture into the ready made pie shell.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 3-4 hours. Overnight is better, even best. (Place in freezer for 30 to 45 minutes if you're crunched for time. But we highly recommend letting it set in the refrigerator for the recommended amount of time.)
- Zest a lime for additional color like we did and a dollop of whipped cream is always welcome.
- You can make this recipe "all-fat" or "no fat". We've tried everything and it still tastes delicious!!