Oftentimes, when we are invited to someone’s house for brunch, I offer to bring something. Usually the most requested recipe by far is this Breakfast Casserole. What I love the most about it is that it’s super simple to prepare. You pop it in the oven and literally, set it and forget it. The beauty of this recipe is that it doesn’t have to be just for a special occasion. You can make it for everyday as well. Prep time is a cinch and very, very minimal. You can even throw it together the night before, store it in the fridge, then get it in the oven first thing when you wake up in the morning. That way, when everyone is all showered and dressed, a beautiful, yummy casserole is all ready and waiting for them (and you). No time in the morning to eat you say? Cut yourself a piece and bring it to work to eat at your morning coffee break. So much better than a muffin or doughnut. Healthy, savory, yummy. What’s better than that for breakfast? 🙂
You can also get creative by adding some additional ingredients. Think crispy bacon, spinach and diced red peppers; all of which add another layer of flavor and (better yet) crunchiness.
As the weather gets colder, there’s nothing like waking up to a warm, hearty breakfast that’s really going to stick to your ribs. I think this one does the trick. You can even (easily) double this recipe and serve it up as leftovers the next day. Ever done breakfast for dinner? Rather than cereal (wink), why not try this casserole? You will be a rock star and have everyone begging for more!!
- Butter or cooking spray (I used Pam)
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash browns
- 1 package of turkey breakfast sausages, cut into bite-size pieces
- 10 large eggs, beaten in a large bowl
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- (Chopped crisp bacon, diced red peppers, spinach - optional)
- Medium casserole dish
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees.
- Using Pam, spray the casserole dish.
- Layer the frozen hash browns over the entire bottom of the dish. (You may have to smack the bag a few times to loosen the hash browns. It is not necessary to thaw them.)
- Sprinkle approximately 1 cup of the cheddar cheese over hash browns.
- Cut up turkey breakfast sausages into bite size pieces. (If they are frozen, pop them in the microwave for about 45 seconds.)
- Sprinkle the chopped turkey sausage over the cheese.
- (If you're adding bacon, spinach, or diced red peppers, now would be the time to sprinkle them on top.)
- Beat eggs in a separate bowl; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the beaten eggs over all the layers.
- Spread remaining cup of cheese over the eggs.
- To add a little color on top, you can sprinkle a little Old Bay seasoning or paprika.
- Place in the pre-heated oven and set the timer for 40 minutes.
- Use a knife or fork to check the middle of the casserole when the 40 minutes are up. If it comes out clean, you're all set to take the casserole out. If it does not, stick the casserole back in the oven for another 5 minutes or so.
- Once the casserole is done, pull it out and let it rest on top of the stove for about 10 minutes.
- (Remember, food can still do a little more cooking while it is resting. If you like your eggs to be a bit more moist like I do, take the casserole out of the oven a little sooner. Just be sure the eggs are not jiggly - they aren't fully cooked when they look like that.)
- Enjoy! 🙂