Did you know that I sometimes get so wrapped up in my working that I forget to eat lunch? I hardly ever miss breakfast, and I never miss dinner, but lunch always gets forgotten in the wind somehow. I think it’s because I usually eat breakfast BEFORE I start my workday and almost always (I try to anyway) eat dinner AFTER I wrap up my workday. Lunch falls somewhere in between there and just gets forgotten about. It can also be a pain, because I’m usually in the middle of something when lunchtime rolls around. Leftovers from the night before make lunch easy, but if there aren’t any…
I don’t know about you, but I hate taking the time to make lunch. It just messes with the flow of my workday and everyday feels like such a chore. (I’m really making lunch sound horrible here, but I really do enjoy it when I remember to take it!)
I started making this chicken salad about two months ago. It was literally something I THREW together one day when I was STARVING at noon. (I swear the omelet I’d had for breakfast had all but evaporated in my stomach.) I took a can of chicken from the pantry, shredded it in a bowl, dumped a whole bunch of mayonnaise in it (I like my chicken salad wet, but not soupy – I’ve yet to find a place out that makes it how I like it), added a pinch of both salt and pepper, a sprinkling of garlic powder (I am my mother’s daughter), a dash of Mrs. Dash, a handful of dried cranberries, and mixed it all together. I plopped it in a wrap with some Boston head lettuce and called it a sandwich. Now I call it easy peasy chicken salad and find myself serving it up on anything from wraps to croissants and even in romaine lettuce boats! And now I’m sharing the recipe with you! It’s so good, you guys, I can’t even talk about it! I’ve had it at least three times a week since the first time I made it. That should tell you something about how much I love it!! 🙂
- 1 large can (12.5 oz) premium chunk chicken breast in water (I use Kirkland brand available at Costco. Comes in a big package of 6 - great to have on hand.)
- ¾ cup mayonnaise - more or less to your taste.
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Salt & pepper to taste - I use about a pinch of each.
- Salt free Mrs. Dash to taste - I sprinkle lightly over the top before mixing.
- Garlic powder to taste - I sprinkle lightly ove the top before mixing.
- Open can and drain chicken.
- Place chicken in a medium sized bowl and shred with a fork.
- Add mayonnaise, dried cranberries, spices and mix well until everything is incorporated.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce on a croissant as pictured above or scooped onto a dressed salad.